Mar 6, 2009

Driving Away My Dislike

I hate driving. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Have I mentioned I hate it? People who know me in real life know that I will never volunteer to drive if I can avoid it, and I'd rather take public transportation than drive any day, anywhere. My hatred of driving borders on phobia.

There are some people who've told me it's the car I'm driving -- if I had a fun car to drive, than I might enjoy driving. But I think -- why waste money on a car when I hate driving?? I have a functional car, one is reliable, fairly new (a 2004), and as fun to drive as I can imagine. Oh, and since I'm 4'11'' I need one that has a seat that moves up quite a bit. My car, a Toyota Matrix, is 4WD, essential in our endless New England winters.

So I have to know, do other moms hate driving? Am I the only one?

5 comments:

ageekmom said...

Used to hate it, but ever since we got my '06 Ford Escape Hybrid I love driving. I even volunteered to move my brother to Austin (60 miles away) right after I got it. And I've moved so much other stuff in it. I'd never have volunteered to drive before. And I didn't hate my previous car (a '92 Toyota Corolla), but I just didn't enjoy driving when I had it. I think in part it was my knowledge that it had no airbags, no ABS, no power ANYthing (except steering--LOL), and crash test ratings had it as a driver FATALITY in a 30 mph offset crash. Kinda takes the fun out of driving if you have mental images of all the idiots on the road turning you into roadkill. At least now I feel safer and (like it or not) can see a little further ahead to anticipate the idiocy that is Texas traffic.

Anonymous said...

I can hardly believe someone else feels this way! I am a true-blue, bonafide, 100% HATER of driving! I actually think I have a slight clinical phobia of it, too. Can I just say? - it totally stinks. I've worked on it for years, and that's the only way I even drive in-town today. But I do not go on the freeway, don't go into the city, blech. Some people can't handle heights, with other people it's bugs or creepy crawlies, but me - it's all about the driver's seat. I can't tell if I'm happy someone else feels this way, or if I'm a little bit bummed for both of us. :)

Anonymous said...

Not me - I love to drive. It's a control thing.

Well, that, and detesting the city life. No subways in the country. ;)

Diane said...

Yes -- I HATE driving, especially in the dark, in the rain, in the snow -- almost any time! Left hand turns are the worst. The only thing I dislike more than driving is car shopping. When I first moved to RI, I worked at the Convention Center and rode the bus to work every day just to avoid the headache of driving. Now that my kids are older and have to be carted around to every activity in the world, it's kind of unavoidable.

Kris said...

I have my DH drive as much as possible because it's not something I really enjoy- so I'm right there with ya!

Clicky Web Analytics