Mar 1, 2009

The Allergic Reaction

I had alluded to this event in one of my Jodi 411 posts, but never gave the whole story.

Several weeks ago, I had a hair appointment in Boston, and decided to take my 4-year old daughter with me. I figured we could take the T in, go to the appointment, grab lunch, and head back home -- it would be some quality time with just the two of us.

The first half of the trip was perfect. My daughter was so excited to take the train, and enjoyed watching me get my hair done. We took lots of fun pictures with my iPhone, and were planning lunch when it was time for me to get my hair washed.

My daughter stood in front of me as my hair was being washed. My hair stylist, who I have known for many years, quietly whispered to me that they had banana chocolate chip muffins with walnuts, and could he offer her one. I said yes, she's not allergic to any of those things.

She started eating the muffin, and then asked me for her water. I handed it to her. Then she told me her lip was itchy. Within 15 minutes (thankfully my hair stylist is FAST) she had a few hives. I didn't have Benadryl with me, so we headed off to find some.

By the time I made it to a drugstore (a Rite Aid) we had already called daddy to pick us up, rather than take the train. She had hives down her back and stomach. I gave her Benadryl immediately, and then we hung out in the pharmacy section while waiting for my husband. My daughter was crying how she wanted daddy, and the kind pharmacist gave her a "feel better" bear and a lollipop which immediately made her feel better. By the time she woke up from a nap (Benadryl definitely tires her out), the hives were gone.

We have a follow-up appointment with an allergist. While she has had walnuts before, I have heard of other children developing walnut allergies later. I really hope this was a one-off thing, although I'm being very cautious.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that can be so scary! My daughter was taking penicillin for strep throat when she was about 9 years old. That's when we found out she's allergic to the medicine! You couldn't put one fingertip on her without touching a hive. Hope you find out all you need to know about your daughter's possible allergies. Good luck!
Stacey @ Tree, Root, and Twig
http://happyarewe.wordpress.com

Emily McKhann said...

I hope you find it was a one-off too! You must have been really worried as it unfolded - I'm so glad it wasn't any worse and you'll have answers soon!

Such The Spot said...

Oh gosh I hope it proves to be an isolated incident. Food allergies have got to be challenging. That's one thing I haven't had to experience (knock on wood). Sorry your day was cut short!

Clicky Web Analytics